Fall Harvest Crew Position
Pink Barn Farm is a small organic vegetable farm located in Sebastopol, CA. We have three field locations totaling 5 acres in cultivation. We have been in operation since 2017 and grow year round for our CSA program, FEED Sonoma, and several local restaurants.
Pink Barn Farm is looking for a part-time employee to join our fall/winter harvest crew for the 2021-2022 season, starting in September, 2021 (or earlier). This position is focused on bringing in the bounty! This is a part-time (3 days per week, 8:30am – 3:30pm). This position will focus on bulk harvest and post-harvest handling of fall and winter storage crops and weekly CSA vegetable crops. With proven success, this role has potential to grow into a more full-time position.
Application deadline: September 1, 2021
This position’s responsibilities will include
- Harvesting produce from the field
- Thoroughly washing produce to meet food health and safety specifications
- Packing, labeling and organizing harvested crops in the cooler
- Following direction, systems, and proper procedures
- Keeping a neat, clean and organized workplace
- On occasion, the harvest crew will participate in the following:
- Seeding and propagation work
- Transplanting starts into the field
- Timeliness: arriving to work 5-10 minutes before the start of the day and ready to work at 8:30
- Have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Must be able to provide their own work gloves, work boots, rubber boots, and rain gear.
- Executing the above responsibilities safely without causing injury to oneself
- This position requires safe knife handling and proper body mechanics in highly repetitive tasks
- Executing daily duties in all weather conditions with respect to temperature, precipitation, and UV exposure.
- Interact with CSA members in a polite and professional manner
Skills and Qualifications
- Highly motivated and brings a positive attitude with a passion for excellence
- Passionate about farming and enjoys working both independently and with a team
- Time management; work quickly, effectively and safely to accomplish the tasks at hand
- Must have one full season of farming experience on a farm
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism and feedback
- Must be physically capable to perform all farm tasks in all weather (hot, cold, rain, etc).
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
- Farm work requires kneeling, squatting, repetitive grasping, standing and bending for long periods of time.
- Those with weak joints or past injuries should strongly consider this before applying.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination
- The Harvest Crew commitment will be for the Fall and Winter CSA seasons.
- There is significant room for growth and more hours as the season progresses and for the right person
- There is a planned 1 month break in CSA schedule Dec 15 – Jan 15
- The starting schedule is 8:30am-3:30pm, days of the week TBD, with a one hour unpaid lunch.
- Must have some flexibility in daily schedule to accommodate harvest conditions, eg; delayed start for frost in cold season, or earlier start times during the warm season
- Saturday/Sunday availability is preferred
- This is a paid, hourly position. Compensation DOE.
- First six weeks of the position are considered a trial period
- Compensation reviews will happen after first 3 months and annually thereafter
- This position includes a Weekly CSA Share
Important Note: Pink Barn Farm does not provide housing or meals for farm crew members. All farm crew members must live within a reasonable distance of the farm and be able to provide their own reliable transportation to and from the farm.
How to Apply
- If this position sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your application form below and email your resume, cover letter and 3 references to email@example.com
- For those applicants who are contacted, there will be a non-paid working interview as part of the application process.