Harvest Crew Position
Pink Barn Farm is a small organic vegetable farm located in Sebastopol, CA. We have three field locations totaling 5 acres in cultivation. We have been in operation since 2017 and grow year round for our CSA program, FEED Sonoma, and several local restaurants
Pink Barn Farm is looking for a part-time employee to join our harvest crew for the 2021 season, starting inJanuary, 2021. This position is part-time (3 days per week, M-W, 8:30am – 3:30pm). The Harvest Crew position will focus on all aspects of harvest and post-harvest handling of over 40 vegetable crops.
Application deadline: December 15, 2020
This position’s responsibilities will include
- Harvesting produce from the field
- Thoroughly washing produce to meet food health and safety specifications
- Packing CSA shares, restaurant and wholesale orders
- Packing, labeling and organizing harvested crops in the cooler
- Following direction, systems, and proper procedures
- Keeping a neat, clean and organized workplace
- On occasion, the harvest crew will participate in the following:
- Seeding and propagation work
- Transplanting starts into the field
- Set-up of irrigation components in the field
- Cultivation of the field crops
- Timeliness: arriving to work 5-10 minutes before the start of the day and ready to work at 8:30
- Have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Must be able to provide their own work gloves, work boots, rubber boots, and rain gear.
- Executing the above responsibilities safely without causing injury to oneself
- This position requires safe knife handling and proper body mechanics
- Executing daily duties in all weather conditions with respect to temperature, precipitation, and UV exposure.
Skills and Qualifications
- Highly motivated and brings a positive attitude with a passion for excellence
- Passionate about farming and enjoys working both independently and with a team
- Time management; work quickly, effectively and safely to accomplish the tasks at hand
- Must have one full season of farming experience on a farm
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism and feedback
- Must be physically capable to perform all farm tasks in all weather (hot, cold, rain, etc).
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
- Farm work requires kneeling, squatting, repetitive grasping, standing and bending for long periods of time.
- Those with weak joints or past injuries should strongly consider this before applying.
- The Harvest Crew commitment will be for the Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall CSA seasons. Most qualified applicants are able to commit to the entirety of the four seasons.
- There is significant room for growth and more hours as the season progresses and for the right person
- There is a planned 1 month break in CSA schedule Dec 15 – Jan 15
- The starting schedule is Monday-Wednesday 8:30-3:30 with a one hour unpaid lunch.
- Must have some flexibility in daily schedule to accommodate harvest conditions, eg; delayed start for frost in cold season, or earlier start times during the warm season
- This is a paid, hourly position. Compensation DOE.
- First 3 months of the position are considered a trial period
- Compensation reviews will happen after first 3 months and annually thereafter
- This position includes a Weekly CSA Share
Important Note: Pink Barn Farm does not provide housing or meals for farm crew members. All farm crew members must live within a reasonable distance of the farm and be able to provide their own reliable transportation to and from the farm.
How to Apply
- If this position sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your application form below and email your resume, cover letter and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For those applicants who are contacted, there will be a non-paid working interview as part of the application process.